ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC)
©1994 Melissa Kaplan
ANIMAL POISON CONTROL CENTER
The effects of ingesting toxic plants and chemicals (cleaning solutions, drugs, cigarettes, etc.) will vary based on the size of the animal, what it or how much it ate and drank previous to the ingestion, its metabolic rate, relative hydration and nutritional status, and general health.
Watch for any changes in color (skin and in mouth) and respiration, excessive salivation or dryness, diarrhea, heaving, vomiting, extreme restlessness or lethargy. Do not try to induce vomiting or ingestion without first consulting a veterinarian or poison control center.
Have the number and address of emergency veterinarians who treat your type of animal (reptiles, camelids, ratites, etc.) handy at all times. Regularly weigh and measure your animal (length, height, weight [stl and svl in reptiles as applicable]) and keep this information accessible to have on hand for emergency phone calls.
makes the ASPCA APCC different from other poison control centers?
There may be a consultation fee, billed to your credit card, for the APCC services. To learn more about the ASPCA APCC and its services, visit their website.
Need to update a veterinary or herp society/rescue listing?
Can't find a vet on my site? Check out these other sites.
|Clean/Disinfect||Green Iguanas & Cyclura||Kids||Prey||Veterinarians|
|Home||About Melissa Kaplan||CND||Lyme Disease||Zoonoses|
|Help Support This Site||Emergency Preparedness|
© 1994-2014 Melissa Kaplan or as otherwise noted by other authors of articles on this site